Quotable

"War is the greatest threat to public health." - Gino Strada, Italian war surgeon and founder of the UN-recognized Italian NGO Emergency

Monday, March 8, 2010

Lead us from War to Peace

Friends,

Last week a number of peace activists gathered in front of the U.S. District Courthouse in Tacoma, Washington before the trial of fellow activist Lynne Greenwald, to vigil, leaflet and encircle Lynne with our collective nonviolent spirit.  Although Lynne's trial was a serious occasion, and one which none of us took lightly, we gathered with a sense of joy - a sense of joy that comes from the knowledge that our deep commitment to peace through the practice of nonviolence helps us move beyond the bondage of fear, hatred and violence that leads to despair.
As we gathered in the ecumenical spirit to center ourselves before the trial, we read the International Prayer for Peace.  As I reflected on it I found myself thinking how prayer is often a static process in which we ask for something and then wait for some miraculous intervention. Yet here I was, surrounded by people for whom the miracle of prayer is its self-transformative power.  Here were people for whom prayer helps move them through the very transformations uttered in this peace prayer, and to transformative action in the world.

These are people who embody that Biblical admonition to put faith into action.  So, I share with you here the prayer spoken by peacemakers on March 3rd.  I hope you find it useful in your travels.
Lead me from death to life, 

from falsehood to truth.
 
Lead me from despair to hope, 

from fear to trust.
 
Lead me from hate to love, 

from war to peace. 

Let peace fill our heart, 

our world, 

our universe.
Peace,

Leonard

No comments: